As you’ll see, I like bold flavors, and I enjoy spicy foods. Unfortunately I’m the only one in the family who does, so when I cook for the family I need to tone it down. So when I find myself cooking for just me, it’s usually a fun chance to kick it up a few notches (as Emeril Lagasse would say). Breakfast is often one of those meals where everyone’s having their own thing, so I get to do just that.
When I’m hungry, have a few extra minutes (mainly on the weekend), and have the chance to cook my own thing, I’ll make myself this Southwestern Egg Breakfast Scramble. The great thing about a breakfast scramble is that really, you can throw in whatever suits you (or whatever you happen to have around the house). Its a pretty easy, one-dish breakfast.
In my version, I use a vegetarian sausage (see Notes). I like Field Roast brand Mexican Chipotle vegetarian sausage. They have a great zesty flavor and a nice firm texture. Of course, you could use real southwestern sausage or chorizo if you prefer. I also use jarred sliced pickled jalapeños, since I generally have them on hand; you could certainly use fresh jalapeños, just mind the spice level to your preference.
- 1 link chorizo or Mexican sausage, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- Chopped jalapeno, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (or cheddar jack blend)
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a non-stick saute pan (feel free to use cooking spray or oil) over medium heat, brown the sausage. Drain any fat.
- Shortly before the sausage is cooked through, add onions and jalapenos.
- In a separate small bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add chili powder, salt, and pepper, and beat together.
- Pour over sausage and onion mixture in the frying pan. With a spatula, scramble all of the ingredients together.
- When eggs have firmed up, add cheese and salsa. Continue stirring and scrambling together.
- Serve on a plate, or in a warm flour tortilla if you choose. See Notes for additional variation ideas.
- - I substitute a Field Roast Mexican Chipotle sausage. You can use the sausage or vegetarian sausage of your choice.
- - This is a throw-together meal based upon what you have at home. Feel free two tweak with your own additions/variations. Some suggestions: peppers, mushrooms, guacamole.
- - I usually have a jar of sliced pickled jalapenos in the house, and I chopped a few wheels for this recipe. Likewise, i use whatever store-bought salsa I have in the refrigerator.
- - If you have a southwestern seasonings blend, you can use that instead of chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- - If you want, you can make this into an omelette rather than a scramble. Just let the entire mixture set in the pan after you pour in the eggs rather than scrambling everything together. Don't forget to flip once it has set.